Hawks Fall in Season Finale, 9-7

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks squared off against the Falmouth Commodores in the final game of the regular season tonight. Falmouth eliminated Hyannis from playoff contention last night, but it still would be nice to go out with a win.

The Hawks were able to take advantage of a struggling pitcher, scoring 3 runs in the 1st inning. The crazy thing about that was the fact that they only had 1 hit. Robbie Peto of Falmouth walked in two runs, while the other run was scored on an error. Hampton, Coffey, and Robinson all crossed the plate in the inning.

Davis Vainer was on the mound for Hyannis and also ran into trouble early on in this one. The Commodores matched the Harbor Hawks with 3 runs of their own on two hits.

Reece Hampton led off the 2nd with a walk, followed by a Hunter Stovall base hit. With two on and one out, Daniel Robinson stepped up to the plate. On a full count, Robinson hit a shot to left-center field and put it over the fence for a 3-run home run. Every half inning so far there had been 3 runs scored, something that you don’t see every day. Of course Falmouth scored a run in the home half of the inning, making the score 6-4 through two innings of play.

In the 3rd inning, Thomas Russo walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. With two down, Hunter Stovall drove Russo in with a base hit, extending the Harbor Hawks’ lead to 7-4. James Harrington entered the game to pitch for the Hawks in the bottom of the inning. The 4th pitcher of the game (counting both teams) got off to just as shaky as a start as the previous 3, as he also gave up 3 runs in the inning.

With the score tied at 7, we finally had our first clean inning in the 4th as no runs were scored on either side. When Connor Green came in to pitch the 5th, he gave up two runs which put the Commodores ahead 9-7. He recovered in the 6th, giving up no runs in a quick inning of work.

Ricky Constant pitched the 7th for Hyannis and threw a 1-2-3 inning, ending his summer on a high note. Same went for Marc Stewart in the 8th, as he gave up 1 hit but ultimately got out of the inning without allowing a run.

The problem for the Harbor Hawks was that after scoring 7 runs in the first 3 innings, they had nothing left. They were held scoreless throughout the rest of the game, and went on to lose 9-7. With that said, it was awesome to see Ismael Herrera and Joe Sullivan both get their first at bats of the summer in the top of the 9th.

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks’ season has come to a close, but it has been a fun time for everyone. I know my fellow interns and I have had an amazing experience, and it seemed like the players really enjoyed themselves as well. It’s too bad that the Harbor Hawks were unable to make the playoffs, but I’m sure Hyannis will come back better than ever next year!

– Dylan Porcaro (Intern, Hyannis Harbor Hawks)