Cotuit’s Bats Are Too Much, Hawks Fall 3-2

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks took on the Cotuit Kettleers for the final time of the year today. It was a peculiar setting, as the make-up game was played at 12:00 because Cotuit had to play again at 6:30 in Wareham. It was no surprise that this was a must win for the Hawks with only 3 games left after today.

Kevin Coulter was on the mound for the Hawks and Cotuit was able to put the bat on the ball early. The first play of the game was an error, and it just got worse from there. The Kettleers would eventually score 4 runs in an extremely long inning.

With one out in the 2nd inning, the Harbor Hawks’ newcomer Griffin Dey took ball four and started heading towards first base. After taking a couple of steps, the home plate umpire called the pitch a strike. After already making a few questionable calls, Coach Gassman hurried out to argue with him. With his team down 4-0, it seemed like he wanted to fire them up and maybe spark a rally. After being ejected, it appeared that he did just that. On the next pitch Griffin Dey reached base with a single. Dominic DiCaprio added in a double, putting runners on second and third. Reece Hampton then walked, loading the bases with Harbor Hawks. Hunter Stovall was next up and was in a big spot. He came through as he hit a bases clearing double to make the score 4-3. After he got to third on a passed ball, Tyler Frank drove him in with a sacrifice fly to tie the game.

Everything looked like it was going to turn around, but Cotuit just wouldn’t go away. Their bats stayed hot all game, and they would go on to score 7 more runs. Cotuit won the game 11-4, and also won the Patriot Cup series 4-1-1. It was a tough loss for the Hawks as they trail Wareham by 2 points. Although it’s an odd situation, as soon as this game ended, Hyannis became Cotuit’s biggest fans because they needed to beat the Gatemen later on.

It looked pretty good through 6, as Cotuit led 2-0. They’ve already clinched a playoff spot and since they had already played earlier, they were putting position players on the mound. The shutout through 6 couldn’t be held, as Wareham scored a run in the 7th. They did the same in the 8th to tie the game up at 2. Unfortunately, a bad day got even worse for the Harbor Hawks as the Gatemen walked off in the bottom of the 9th.

The summer is all but over for Hyannis unless something amazing can happen in the next few days. The Hawks need to go at least 2-0-1, while Wareham has to drop all 3 games. It’s going to be tough, but they still have a chance. Tomorrow the Harbor Hawks play at McKeon Park again against the Harwich Mariners at the normal 6:00 start time. Come out to support your Hyannis Harbor Hawks!

– Dylan Porcaro (Intern, Hyannis Harbor Hawks)