Firebirds Top the Hawks, 7-2

The Hyannis Harbor Hawks travelled to Eldredge Park to take on the first place Orleans Firebirds tonight. The last time they made the trip out here, they stunned the Firebirds with a 2-1 victory.

For the third straight game the Harbor Hawks were the first team to score. With one out in the top of the 1st, Hunter Stovall got on base with a single. Tyler Frank has been red hot since returning from Team USA and that didn’t change today. He hit a two-run home run to make the score 2-0 to open the game.

Trysten Barlow was on the mound for the Hawks making his first start of the summer. He threw a great 1-2-3 first inning, but ran into a little bit of trouble in the second. After quickly sitting down two Firebird batters, he gave up a solo home run which cut the lead in half.

It almost got out of hand in the 3rd when the bases were loaded with Firebirds after Orleans had already tied the game up in the inning. Barlow took a deep breath and calmed down, striking out back to back batters. A pop out got him out of the jam as he held Orleans to only one run in the inning.

Davis Vainer entered the ball game in the 4th with the score still tied at 2. Orleans scored two runs in the inning to take a 4-2 lead. The home half of the 5th is where things really went south for the Hawks, as the Firebirds led off with back to back doubles to score another run. In came Connor Green, who gave up the third double of the inning which also drove in a run. A sacrifice bunt made it 7-2 in favor of the Firebirds, and that would remain the same score for the rest of the ball game.

Ryan Rigby threw two hitless/scoreless innings in the 6th and the 7th. Oddly enough, he hit three batsmen in the 7th to load the bases, but he ultimately got out of the inning without allowing a run. Ricky Constant took the mound in the 8th and threw a third straight scoreless inning for the Hawks.

Hyannis threatened to make a late comeback in the 9th when Tyler Frank led off with a stand up double. Ford Proctor also got on base with a walk, but the Hawks were unable to score a run.

The Hawks fall to 13-22-3 on the summer after the 7-2 loss. With that said, Wareham lost once again which keeps the two teams only 4 points apart. Although Wareham keeps losing and begging for the Hawks to take the final playoff spot, Hyannis needs to start winning if they want to gain ground. It’s going to be tough with only 6 games remaining, but it’s absolutely still possible. The Harbor Hawks will return home to McKeon Park to play the Bourne Braves tomorrow night.

– Dylan Porcaro (Intern, Hyannis Harbor Hawks)